Sunday, September 28, 2008

Leon is leaving!

Our Pastor and friend, Leon Shelton is leaving Washington Heights after 20+ years! He's decided to pursue other interests. So, his last day is October 12 and it's coming up very quickly! Quicker than I care to think about...

Over the years, I have really appreciated Leon's gifts. He is such an amazingly talented man! As the old saying goes, he has the ability to "get blood from a turnip". Seriously, he has taught, mentored, shaped and encouraged many people over the years, helping them to realize their God-given gifts, both spiritually and musically.

He's a visionary. For 19 years, he's produced our Christmas Dinner Theater and many other special events. My mom, my husband and I have participated in several of these productions. It's always fun to see the vision God puts in Leon's head come to life. This will be his first year as a consultant to the dinner theater. It's good that we will still benefit from his insight.

I cannot describe the void that will be created by Leon's absence. Through his work over the years, he has touched so many lives...and...he's changed me. I will forever value his friendship! Although I will miss him terribly, I'm excited to see the great things God has in store for him and I'm sure we'll stay in touch.

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

3 comments:

melissa o said...

Thanks for doing this - Leon was my light in one of the darkest times in my life. He has mentored me and lead me in so many ways and I am eternally grateful for his presence in my life.

I am so excited to see what his future holds!

Claire said...

Don't forget your sister! My first big role in children's church was as Leon's daughter!!! I think I was in 4th grade, hehe.

Unknown said...

Now you know how the disciples felt when Jesus said it was necessary for him to go--May the Comforter, comfort you as He promised. I felt led to share that because I know what it's like when a beloved Pastor moves on-espectially a music director. You have been blessed immeasurably I'm sure.