Saturday, September 20, 2008

You Are What You Eat



I have a new favorite TV show! It's "You Are What You Eat" on BBCA (BBC America). Holistic nutritionist Gillian McKeith is the star of the show. She's a petite, blond no-nonsense dietary nightmare who goes into British homes and helps overweight, underactive, sugar, salt and fat-loving Brits get off "take-aways" ("take out" for us Americans) and processed foods and get on to fresh, healthy eating.



I confess, I have been one of those sugar, salt, fat-loving people! Fried food seems to be a stress reliever but I've noticed there are a lot of things that taste better than fried foods. So I love to watch her work with people who turn their lives around. I have learned a lot about vitamins (and it's cute the way she pronounces vih-tah-mins rather than vye-ta-mins).

As Jayson and I have watched many episodes, we've witnessed the complete turnaround many people have made. Not only do they lose weight but they have more energy and a renewed zest for life. So, the Telfords have adopted the philosophy of eating out less (which you KNOW is hard for me!) and including more "whole" foods. For us, it's not even about losing weight (although that's a side effect) but rather about eating fresh, tasty food and eliminating the crap! We're focusing on more fruits, veg (as she says), whole grains, white meat and fish. I know this healthy diet isn't "breaking news" to anyone, but it's a nice commitment we've made in the Telford household. Week 1 down and going very well!

We aren't following the "letter" of Jillian's plan but the "spirit" of her plan. Many of the British foods aren't common in US grocery stores but I'm planning to hit the whole foods store to incorporate more of her suggestions.
During the first 8 weeks, she really advocates you get off dairy. I don't drink milk anyway, but I love cheese and enjoy yogurt. One of the neatest things I've found recently is Rice Dream Shelf Stable Non-Dairy Beverages. Both of the flavors below are yummy!!!! Chocolate Chai and Vanilla Hazlenut are geat and a nice base for whole fruit smoothies. There is also an Almond Dream beverage which, when mixed with brown rice and raisins, makes a mean rice pudding! No sugar needed! I'm going to continue experimenting with these beverages for treats. They are really delicious!!!!




OK, so here's to healthy eating! I'll keep you posted.

3 comments:

Jessica said...

This sounds great! I should do it too, but I don't know about the no dairy. I LOVE milk. I mean LOVE. I can go through gallons of the stuff by myself in days. It is a huge comfort food for me. And, every since I had kids, I've become lactose intolerant so I have to buy the Lactaid stuff which tasted horrible to me at first, but I love just as much as the real stuff now! Good luck!

Claire said...

Hey this is really cool! What a fun show. I'm a sucker for the British blunt approach. Sounds like it's a fun show and doing great things in the Telford home!

I've been missing you guys SO much! I'm so glad I get to see you next month!

Kimber said...

Rice Dream is a staple in my house, I love using it to make smoothies! Yay for eating healthy!